Hi. Today I thought I'd share an experiment that actually worked. I know the "Pinterest FAIL"s are fun to laugh at but I was sure glad this didn't turn out to be the case.
Often when I go visit my girlfriend Jackie we like to have a project. The roman blinds I made for her kitchen a couple years ago remain one of my favorites. Jackie has very elegant taste in furniture. She had a pair of side chairs in red raw silk that had been pretty trashed over the years, but she loved them so much she just couldn't let them go. So I suggested we paint them! I'd wanted to try it since seeing so many examples online, and we didn't have anything to lose.
Not sure why I took a *before* pic, other than to chronicle just how thrashed they really were before we started. ;-)
It's been several months, and I'd forgotten this step, but as you can see in the above photo we spritzed the fabric with water before putting our first coat of Kilz primer paint. Why? I guess I assumed the fabric would *grab* it better. I can't remember. I just know it worked! I don't think the tutorials I looked at before doing this project used primer. I chose to because it was Red Raw Silk. I expected it to bleed through any paint, including the primer!
First coat of primer. Still not sure where this is going!
Second coat of primer. Wow! Not the texture we were expecting (as we had NO expectations). We're thinking it's kind of like leather. Certainly no longer fabric-like, but not gross and stained so whatever it is, we like it better. (Here comes the magic! Are you ready?)
All we used was indoor latex paint with a squirt of fabric medium added.
Look how those tufts and buttons and creases soaked it all up perfectly. Everyone who came and looked just couldn't believe that the paint wouldn't start crumbling or peeling or something. I think it helps that the upholstery is tight, you know--not soft and cushy.
But it's been almost a year now and they still look awesome. Nobody would ever guess they were painted! And that color! They remind me of something out of a Doris Day movie ;-) Love them.
So, if you have a yucky piece of upholstered furniture that is one step away from the junk heap but it is still solid, give it a try! A quart of primer, a quart of indoor latex, a little bottle of any old fabric medium, and a shot of courage. Good luck!