I've been emailing back and forth with Carla from thriftin and craftin for the past couple days. She wanted ideas on how to make a diaper cake. I think maybe her computer doesn't like mine, because she still hasn't received my multiple attempts at sending pics...I'm going to go ahead and post here. Maybe someone someday will google 'diaper cake' and be able to use these ideas, too.
The first one I made was a couple years ago.
(this is where you can see the original post.) That one was solid diapers. I remember I just kept wrapping diapers jelly roll style around and around each other. Lots of tape, a few curse words, and a couple extra arms wouldn't have hurt, either.
This time I thought to use round boxes as bases.
Or did I just want to find one more thing to cover with vintage wallpaper? ;-) Well, it saved on diapers...I only ended up using around 30 newborn size to cover them.
This pic is a pretty good illustration of how one would apply the diapers. I tied sheer organza ribbon VERY loosely around the box itself, then started poking the diapers in and around each box. Then tightened the ribbon as necessary. OH. I also filled the top box with flatback marbles for weight, so those folded under diapers on the two bottom levels wouldn't so easily flop out. At this point I thought "I need more doos and dads!" Four more little things cost $16 and STILL it didn't seem full enough.
So luckily I thought to foof it up with these pink tulle bows
I think they're pretty good space fillers. I at first was just wiring vintage buttons as flower centers inside light pink tulle circles, but they weren't enough on their own either. Now, as you can see I've just stuck them in the centers of the larger and darker bows. As I sit here looking at these pics the doos and dads seem a bit off balance, so I think I'll go do a bit o' rearrangin' now. See you soon!